Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Origin of Bruten & Tommy

I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the beginnings of Bruten & Tommy.  The idea started with a series of bedtime stories I was telling my seven-year old son, Brannen.  He has always had a very active imagination and unique point of view, so I decided to make up stories for him, in lieu of reading him a book.  The story started with a simple idea, two boys were exploring in the woods.  Brannen contributed to the story as we went along, and soon it became the first few chapters of The Secret of The Portals.  I asked Brannen if he thought I should write a book about it, and he liked the idea.  It grew from there.

Having worked in a creative business since I graduated college, I'm always intrigued by the way great ideas take shape.  Sometimes it takes the mind of a child to see past the preconceived notions that we have as adults.  That's why I plan to act like a kid for as long as possible!

I'll close with this... while I plan to continue with a series of Bruten & Tommy adventure books, I've also stored away some other great ideas that came from Brannen's bedtime stories.  I plan to write books about all of them.  I guess I better get back to work. :)

- Brant

No comments:

Post a Comment